There are several ways to bring traffic to a targeted blog but the ultimate way to grow your business or website is SEO (Search Engine Optimization). SEO is the only way to grow a business or website for free- it means no need to invest money.
Basically, there are three types of SEO-
- On-Page SEO- Content Optimization
- Technical SEO- Crawling and indexing
- Off-Page SEO- Website Promotion
We will discuss these topics later in detail (Stay tuned). For now, in this article, we will discuss a part of On-Page SEO and that is Keywords Research. Using a proper keyword can rank your post on 1st position. Also, You will reach all your goals by optimizing your website keywords.
If you really want to grow your business or website with SEO then the first thing that you should learn about is Keywords and Keyword Research.
A Quick Overview
- What is Keyword research for SEO?
- What is the importance of keyword research for SEO?
- Benefits of Performing Keyword Research?
- How to do Keyword research for SEO?
What is Keyword research for SEO?
Keyword research is the process of finding keywords that would drive targeted traffic to your business. Mostly, this is done by identifying how your target users are finding a website like yours.
For example: To find the solution to any question or problem, mostly we use search engines like google. Also, we want the results by the search engine to show on the first page and that is known as SERP (Search engine results page).
Keyword research helps us in finding those phrases, queries, and words that most of the audience is asking by using Search Engines like Google, Bing Yahoo, etc. Since Google is widely used by people, so we focus more on google.
When we know what kind of Questions is asked by the users via a Search engine then we can optimize our new pages or article by these keywords. So that, whenever any user searches that question or keyword on the search engine, they got their solution on our website, and using this traffic we can grow our business or website.
Also, you can run PPC ads on platforms like Google ads or Facebook ads, using these keywords to drive traffic to your website.
Let’s understand this with a simple example:
Suppose, a user wants to upgrade his phone. So, he uses this query “best android phones under 30,000” on Google to find the best android phone.
The process of keyword research shows the most popular query, along with geo-location, and the number of times these queries have been asked within a specific time (ex: 30 days).
Now, as a blogger or business owner, all these stats will help you a lot to grow your business. By using these stats you can understand which of these queries (above example), you should answer on your website So that users can discover your website and the solution.
Now, Let’s see what data you can get when performing keyword research:
Keyword: A phrase that users type into the Search engines to find what they are looking for. When doing SEO we use the phrase that we “target”, so we often call it as “targeted keyword” or “Focus keyword”.
Volume: It tells you, the number of searches that the keyword receives per month. It means if you ranked for any targeted keyword on the first page then how much traffic you’ll get.
Trend: It helps you to understand the popularity of any particular keyword. It means if the trend is going up then more people are searching and if going down then fewer people are searching. For example, iPhone 11 Pro could be a popular term in 2019-2020, but as a new iPhone is released, this term will lose the value.
Keyword difficulty: It is the most important metric from all of the stats above. Its score is based on traffic and competition, shows how difficult it is going to be rank for a targeted keyword on the first page.
Like these stats, you will get a lot of other matrices for your focus keyword when you’ll start keyword researching.
What is the Importance of Keyword research for SEO?
The main purpose of performing keyword research is to find those words and phrases that users are searching for on Google and other major search engines.
Keyword research is always the first step in the SEO process. Marketers should think of it on the same level as market research when it comes to optimizing sites and creating campaigns.
Keyword research can help you in the following ways:
- It helps you to understand the language used by your target audience on the search engine.
- It helps you discover untapped queries, that could directly help you get paid customers from organic searches such as Google search, Baidu, and others.
- You will receive an engaged audience and get high engagement in the form of comments, sharing, or even as a sale.
- Performing Keyword research periodically helps you in the understanding market and customer trends. It means in which direction the market and customer is heading.
- You can compete and beat your competitors by performing keyword research.
- It will reduce PPC costs. It means the costs you pay for PPC ads on platforms like Google ads or Facebook ads, will be reduced if you do proper keyword research for ranking on the first page of search engines result.
There are many more advantages of doing keyword research but these are primary.
Types of Keywords Based on the user’s search intent
We can use the previous example of the “android phone” to move ahead. A user could ask this question with different intent. For example:
- Latest Android phones of Nokia
- Top 10 best android phone of 2020
- Top android phones company.
- Buy best android phone under 30,000
You can see here, how the query meant different when used for different purposes, known as search intent.
So, after seeing the example, we can conclude that keywords can be divided into different types, according to the user’s intent.
These are the 4 most common type of keywords:
- Commercial keywords
- Transactional keywords
- Informational Keywords
- Navigational Keywords
These four types are going to decide your revenue because all the keyword types have different intent. Suppose, if any user searches for “Buy best android phone under 30,000” then it becomes clear that after getting the results he is going to purchase an android phone.
So, Choose the keywords type according to your intention, Whether your intention is to sell products and Services (Commercial) or provide pieces of information, etc.
What do you need for Keyword research?
The only thing that you’ll need for performing keyword research is Keyword Research tools. There many tools available in the market for doing this task. Some of them are premium and some are free of cost. You can use any tool that you like the most. I use Ahref for this task (highly recommended for advanced users).
With the keyword research tool, also you’ll need:
- A list of Seed keywords or a list of SEO competitive domains, to find profitable keywords.
- A software like excel to capture, and cleanup the keyword.
- A keyword rank tracking tool.
2 Different ways to do Keyword research:
There are many ways to do keyword research but we will discuss the most popular ways that everyone uses and also it can be executed by a newbie.
- Find a competitor or top site keyword: It is one of the easiest ways to find or research keywords. In this process, the only thing you have to do is identify the top websites in your niche by searching on google. Once you have identified the top 2 to 3 websites in your niche, then the last step you have to do is put these websites in keyword research tools.
A feature named Domain analytics in the keyword research tools helps you in spying on other websites. By using this feature you can know everything on any website like:
- Which keyword is driving maximum traffic to the particular website
- The volume, traffic %, KD, Keyword position
- Which page on the website is getting traffic for which keyword
Benefits of using domain analytics feature:
- The fastest way to find new opportunities
- Find questions that readers ask
- Discover keywords that are working for an existing website
- Find valuable, and High Volume Keywords in a minute
- Using Seed Words for researching Keywords: This more time consuming than the above method but it will help you to discover new ideas or unique keywords that no one is targeting.
You can do this method by any keyword research tool like Ahref, SEMrush, GKP (Google Keyword Planner), Jaxxy, etc.
Simply, enter your seed keyword and select the country that you are targeting.
Now, click on Search and within a few seconds, the tool you are using will generate a ton of keywords from your seed keyword.
You can filter the keywords based on various parameters such as Exact Match, Broad Match, Phrase Match, and Related Keywords.
After all, content is the king. Whatever, you worked hard on SEO or keyword research is useless, Unless you create quality content. So, the first focus of yours should be on creating Quality Content.
If you have any doubts related to keyword research then leave a comment below.
You may also like some similar posts: